Thursday 7 February 2013

Fools rush in...

Yeah, I was that fool. Am that fool... I started writing another story - for the Gay Authors site. It's a long time since I posted stories online so I thought it might be fun.

When I say writing, I'm not actually writing two stories at once, I'm writing the novel with Shou and Kenji in it and the other one is pretty much already written. I remembered writing it a few years back, so I dug it out and started to piece all the longhand bits together.

What I didn't remember, what I really could have done with remembering, before I posted the first chapter in public, was how long and complex this damn story is. Oh, look, a bit of gay fiction, thought I. Oh, bugger, I've got a novel of Stephen King proportions, thought I; I thought this latter at some point I will now call too late.

It has three viewpoints as well, which I don't normally do. I have one or two. Sometimes I even first-person it, which keeps it even more firmly in one viewpoint and makes sure you don't even know half of the stuff that's happening behind your back. I like this one for paranoid characters.

Well, I need to post a chapter a week or so of this monster thing. Which should give me chance to sort out what's going on with it - but it's so massive, I'm worried that I'll write myself into a corner in the first part and then find another bit lying around in the primordial paper ooze that tells me something quite different should have happened.

Not that I'm, you know, tied to the outline. In fact, I regard the outline more as a kind of avatar of stern parenthood. You know what it's going to say and then you ignore it. Unless it's pocket money day.

I'm just hoping that by the time I've posted the first three chapters - which introduce everybody and set the scene - I'll have found all the rest of it and it's in good enough shape that I can see where I'm going. But, then again, I'll no doubt want to change what I wrote. That always happens. 

Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment