Friday 1 March 2013

Writing excerpt 3

“Shower,” Matsumoto said as they came through the precinct house doors. He took off in a hurry and Dante followed more slowly, Matt in tow.
     “I need – Dante paused. “I can’t have a shower, can I? Not with all these bandages on.”
“Shouldn’t think so.” Matt stopped and eyed Dante up and down. “You could probably get in the bathtub, if you had somebody to wash your back and round the dressings and so on.”
“Great idea,” Dante said. “What a shame I fired my personal valet.”
“Don’t you have a friend who’d do it?”
“I have plenty of friends,” Dante said. “They’re all cops, they all work here and most of them are gay. What are they gonna think, I ask them round to my place to spend quality time in the bathroom?”
“I see your problem,” Matt said. “I guess you’re not gay, then?”
“No,” Dante said. “And before you ask, I have no girlfriend either. Not yet.”
“Oooh, someone in mind?” Matt smiled.
“Maybe,” Dante said. “I don’t wanna talk about it. What I want to do is get clean but I guess I’ll have to settle for changing my underwear.”
     Dante led the way into the locker rooms, brooding over his personal hygiene difficulties.
     Despite the fact he couldn’t use the facilities, he was happy to be back in the precinct house. He liked the 69th. He hadn’t been working there too long but he’d already got to feel at home. The precinct tended to attract the eccentric, the unusual and the downright strange but Dante liked that too.
Large gay presence as well, of course. The precinct was known for it. Officers who’d got tired of hiding their sexuality from their co-workers. Guys who’d got tired of finding ladies’ panties appearing in their lockers. Women who’d got tired of finding boxers and jockstraps in theirs. And of course, the perennial haze that everyone was sick of, finding that somebody who disapproved of your lifestyle had pissed in your shoes.
Dante went into the detectives’ locker room to find Matsumoto wearing only a towel and about to leave for the showers. Ryan Giannorino was sitting on one of the benches in a pair of sweatpants. He was changing his work shoes for trainers.
“Matsumoto’s got his ass wrapped in a towel,” he was singing, blues-style. “That’s a state of matters that makes me wanna growell!”
“You should be growling,” Matsumoto commented. “Since you’re singing doggerel.”
“Man thinks he has a sense of humor,” Ryan said.
Matsumoto just shook his head and left for the showers, pulling the towel from around his waist as he went.
Dante heard a sigh from beside him. He caught the direction of Matt’s gaze and smiled.
“He’s so fine!” Ryan burst into song again, eyes fixed on Matt. “Wish he were mine! Ooh, someone has a thing for Matsumoto.”
“Don’t fuck with my driver,” Dante said. “I need him focused. I can’t drive myself.”
“Okay, big Daddy,” Ryan said. “You probably wouldn’t like Matsumoto if you got to know him, Lakowski. He’s into some weird shit. BDSM, stuff like that.”
“Is that me you’re talking about?” Matsumoto returned. “I think you’re sitting on my shower gel, Ryan.”
“I wondered what that unfamiliar feeling was.” Ryan discovered the shower gel in the folds of his towel and handed it over. “We were just scaring the rookie with tales of the Kinkmeister.”
“I’m not scared,” Matt said.
“Oh yeah?” Matsumoto smiled. “Whatever he’s told you, it’s probably true.”
“How I look at it,” Matt said, “vanilla is a flavor. But so are strawberry and chocolate.”
Matsumoto laughed.
“What’s your favorite?” he asked.
“Pistachio,” Matt said.

No comments:

Post a Comment