Sunday 27 January 2013

Writing excerpts 1

I've been writing the start of a book for the Crime Writers' Association Debut Dagger competition. Although I've had stuff published before, I've never had an actual book published so I'm eligible to enter that.
The book's characters are based on ones in some short stories I wrote a few years ago. And one of them is very slightly based on an original character I added to some *cough* fanfiction. 
I'm hoping to write a series of books about these people, but - best to let them speak for themselves. 
I can't post the first chapter as it's what I'm sending to the competition, but here's an excerpt from later on. Please excuse the language. It's Miao Shou. He wasn't brought up right. :D


“Polymath, huh?”
“I wouldn’t say that,” Kenji said. “That’d imply I had an exceptionally high IQ.”
“Do you?”
“What makes you think I’d know?” Kenji countered.
“Because you’re avoiding telling me,” Shou said. “This water’s warm. Will you fill it up again, please.”
“Sure.” Kenji got up and took the jug over to the washbasin.
“So why are you ashamed to be clever?” Shou persisted after he’d tasted the fresh water and nodded to say it was acceptable.
“I just –“ Kenji shrugged. “I’ve just found that people generally don’t like to give a job to someone who’s more intelligent than they are.”
“You think you’re more intelligent than me?” Shou banged down his glass, spraying the table with water. “I don’t fuckin think so.”
“You’re very competitive, aren’t you?” Kenji said.  “But even if I had a higher IQ than you, you’ve probably got a lot more life experience and stuff.”
“What, you’re sayin I’m old now?” Shou demanded. “First I’m fuckin stupid, now I’ve got one foot in the fuckin grave? Did you ever think about takin a course in fuckin interview skills?”
“Uh –“
“I notice you don’t say I’ve probably got more common sense than you,” Shou railroaded on. “Most people would say I’ve probably got more common sense. Since I’m so much fuckin older than you. An I run my own business an so on.”
“Well, you’re lying in bed with a gunshot wound and I’m not,” Kenji said. “So I don’t think I’ve yet encountered all this common sense you think you’ve got.”
“Hey, that could happen to anybody!” Shou said. “Drive bys happen all the time.”
“But you run a gay brothel,” Kenji said. “It’s got to be a high risk business as far as getting shot is concerned. Or getting arrested for that matter. Or getting a social disease. I’m not sure it’s the most sensible of career choices.”
“Yeah, right, what fuckin ever,” Shou said. “Anyway, Mr Sense an fuckin Sensibility, what the fuck job are you fuckin doing right now this very minute?”
“Well, at this exact minute –“
“You know what I mean!”
“I’m running your brothel.” Kenji grinned.
“Yeah, an tou fuckin ché to you too,” Shou said. “An please don’t call it a brothel in public. It’s a bathhouse.”



 And here's another bit from later still - Kenji must be having a calming effect on Shou, he only uses the f word once in this ;)


 
“I don’t know why you bother to exercise,” Miao Shou said. “You’ll be fat by the time you’re forty, anyway.”
“No I won’t,” Kenji said. “Why should I?”
“All Japanese men get fat. You just look at any group of middleaged Japanese men, there they are with their bellies hangin over their belts.”
“I don’t intend to be like that.”
“You’ve got no option. It’s genetics. Age forty, lardass time. Blib blob, all over the place.”
“Well, I’ll watch my diet,” Kenji said.
“Why bother?”
“I don’t know,” Kenji said. “I mean – I might have a boyfriend. He might not like it if I’m oozing around like a big puddle of grease.”
“You got a cute face,” Miao Shou said. “That should make up for – hey, wait a minute. Boyfriend? Are you – gay?”
“Huh?” Kenji stared at Shou. “Well, duh.”
“You never told me you were gay!”
“Why do you think I came for a job at your bathhouse?”
“You thought you were gonna get a job doing massage,” Shou said. "All that New Age Reiki Shiatsu shit."
“Yeah, but I knew it was a gay bathhouse,” Kenji said. “I checked it out before I came in.”
“Oh, you did, did you?”
“Yeah, I waited outside for a couple of days to see what kind of people went in and out.”
“You must be fuckin sneaky,” Shou said. “I never noticed you.”
“Yeah, I’m quite unobtrusive when I want to be,” Kenji said. “Despite my incipient lardass.”


 

No comments:

Post a Comment